Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hello World

So this is the blogosphere. Not as glamorous as I had imagined.

A little about me: I'm a hobbyist game developer, and I like to write games in my spare time. I'm fairly well-versed in C++, and I know a little C# on the side. I'm currently working on an ambitious project named "SolSector Engine". I plan for it to be a full-scale, DX10 3D game engine written in C++.

What's with the name? Well, "SolSector" is actually the name for a future game that I and a friend plan to start someday. And the game needed an engine. So SolSector Engine was born. I usually shorten SolSector Engine to SSE, not to be confused with Intel's Streaming SIMD Extensions. If I mention SSE, I really do mean SolSector Engine and not an instruction set for instruction-level parallelism in CPUs.

So what is SolSector Engine capable of currently? The engine is still in its early phases of development. However, it's capable of some pretty neat stuff. It features a complete DirectX10 renderer, and systems for the automatic management of resources, sound, input, and windowing. Because it uses Direct3D10, it is Vista-exclusive.

Right now, I'm writing a small tech demo to test out the various features and subsystems of SolSector Engine. It's called "Clouds", and should be ready in the coming weeks. It won't be particularly pretty or anything, since it is designed to stress-test the engine, not to produce nice graphics (although that's a bonus).

I'll be making more posts about the Clouds demo and SSE in general later on.

0 comments: